U.S. Rep. Lawrence Announces Michigan Veterans to Receive $1,400 Payments from American Rescue Plan Beginning this Week
Detroit, MI -- Today, U.S. Representative Brenda L. Lawrence announced many Michiganders who receive Veterans’ benefits could expect Economic Impact Payments of up to $1,400 hit their bank accounts beginning this week. Many Michiganders have already received Economic Impact Payments as part of the American Rescue Plan that Name helped pass.
- The latest round of payments applies specifically to veterans and their beneficiaries who receive Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefit payments and who don’t normally file a tax return.
- Most payments will be automatically deposited into banks accounts or loaded onto the Direct Express cards where veterans receive their benefits. Those waiting on paper checks or debit cards through the mail should expect to receive their payments over the next several days.
- In most cases, these payments are automatic and no action is necessary to receive them. Rep. Lawrence encourages all Michiganders to use the “Get My Payment” tool from IRS.gov to check the status of their payments and make sure they receive the money they are owed.
“Help is here, and we want to make sure that Michigan veterans get the money that is rightfully theirs,” said Rep. Lawrence. “Whether it’s paying rent or putting food on the table, too many of our veterans are struggling to make ends meet. This pandemic has taken a huge toll on our nation’s heroes, and the stimulus checks and other veteran resources included in the American Rescue Plan ensures they are not left behind.”
Many Michiganders have already received their payments. In total, 89% percent of Michigan adults are expected to receive Economic Impact Payments of up to $1,400 per person through the American Rescue Plan that Rep. Lawrence helped to pass.
- How to Check the Status of your Payment: Rep. Lawrence is encouraging Michiganders to go online and check the status of their payment using the “Get My Payment” tool at: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment.
- How Many Michiganders Will Get Payments: According to the White House, more than 6,378,000 adults and 2,402,000 children are eligible to receive payments of up to $1,400 per person through the American Rescue Plan. That means 89% of all adults in the state and 87% of all children in the state are set to receive payments.
- Who is Eligible for Payments: The American Rescue Plan that Rep. Lawrence helped pass into law included Economic Impact Payments of up to $1,400 per person. Combined with the $600 down payments enacted in December, these additional checks will finish the job on Democrats’ promise to put $2,000 in Americans’ pockets. Individuals earning up to $75,000 annually, heads of household earning up to $112,500 annually, and couples earning up to $150,000 annually will receive the full $1,400 per person, for themselves and their dependents. After that, the checks begin to phase out, with payments stopping at individuals earning $80,000 in annual income, heads of household earning $120,000 in annual income and married couples earning $160,000 in annual income.