U.S. Rep Lawrence Passes Amendment to Transformative Infrastructure Package, Mandates Study on Water Affordability
Washington, D.C. – Today, the U.S. House of Representatives passed Representative Brenda L. Lawrence’s (MI-14) amendment to H.R. 2, the INVEST in America Act, transformative legislation that invest $1.5 trillion to rebuild the nation’s crumbling infrastructure and address numerous issues plaguing our nation’s roads, bridges, transit systems, housing, broadband access, and so much more. Rep. Lawrence’s amendment prioritizes access to clean, affordable drinking water and requires a study on water affordability, including water rates and shutoffs, and the effectiveness of the Clean Water State Revolving Fund for promoting affordable and equitable service. H.R. 2 also expands affordable high-speed Internet to underserved communities, boldly invests in affordable housing, modernizes our energy infrastructure, and invests in our children’s futures by helping safely reopen and rebuild schools.
“It’s about investing in infrastructure that is smarter, safer, and made to last,” said Rep. Lawrence. “It's about investing in our families, workers, and communities; and it’s about investing in the future of this nation. For decades we have relied on an outdated transportation system that has failed to keep pace with our economy, our communities, and our changing climate. Similarly, our drinking water, wastewater, broadband, and postal service infrastructure have all struggled to keep pace with the needs of the 21st century; it’s time to change that.”
“For far too long, federal underinvestment has left many communities, particularly low-income and minority neighborhoods, without, access to clean, safe drinking water. My amendment, which requires a study on water affordability, will help ensure those communities most in need receive critical, long overdue assistance to combat America’s infrastructure crisis.”
H.R. 2, the INVEST in America Act, was approved by the U.S. House of Representatives by a vote of 233-188.
H.R. 2, the INVEST in America Act:
- Rebuilds our highways, bridges, transit, rail, airports, ports and harbors by investing nearly $500 billion to improve safety, reduce gridlock and put the U.S. on a path toward zero emissions from the transportation sector, all while protecting American jobs with strong Buy America provisions and labor protections;
- Invests in our children’s futures by helping safely reopen and rebuild schools with a $130 billion investment in school infrastructure targeted at high-poverty schools that do not meet health and safety standards, while also creating 2 million jobs;
- Modernizes our energy infrastructure for a clean energy future by investing more than $70 billion to transform our electric grid, promote new renewable energy infrastructure and strengthen existing infrastructure, help develop an electric vehicle charging network and support energy efficiency and climate resilience;
- Invests boldly in affordable housing by directing over $100 billion to reduce housing inequality, create jobs, stimulate the economy, improve living conditions and increase environmental sustainability and climate resilience;
- Expands affordable high-speed Internet to underserved communities with a $100 billion investment that promotes competition, connects children to remote learning, closes broadband adoption and digital skills gaps and improves affordability;
- Ensures all communities have clean water by investing tens of billions to remove dangerous contaminants from our drinking water and invests in new, safe wastewater infrastructure; and
- Delivers a 21st Century Postal Service by modernizing infrastructure and pursuing a zero-emissions postal fleet, among other things.
Rep. Lawrence’s Amendment to H.R. 2:
- Prioritizes access to clean, affordable drinking water and requires a study on water affordability, including water rates and shutoffs, and the effectiveness of the Clean Water State Revolving Fund for promoting affordable and equitable service