U.S. Representative Brenda Lawrence Fulfills Promise for The People, Votes to Pass the Lower Drug Costs Now Act
Washington, DC – Congresswoman Brenda Lawrence (MI-14) voted today to pass H.R. 3, the Elijah E. Cummings Lower Drug Costs Now Act. This measure is bold, transformative legislation that strengthens the health and financial security of America’s seniors and families. It prevents Americans from paying more for their medicines than the amount big Pharma charges for the same drugs in other countries.
“For hard-working Americans in Michigan and across the country, the skyrocketing costs of prescription drugs remain a real crisis that threatens their health and financial security,” said Congresswoman Lawrence. “American seniors and families are being forced to make the unthinkable choice between filling a prescription and paying their bills. By passing H.R. 3, the Lower Drug Costs Now Act, House Democrats are keeping their promise to ensure all Americans have affordable access to medications.”
The Lower Drug Costs Now Act levels the playing field for American patients and taxpayers:
- Gives Medicare the power to negotiate directly with the drug companies;
- Makes the lower drug prices negotiated by Medicare available to Americans with private insurance;
- Stops drug companies ripping off Americans while charging other countries less for the same drugs;
- Creates a new, $2,000 out-of-pocket limit on prescription drug costs for Medicare beneficiaries; and
- Reinvests the hundreds of billions of dollars in savings in the most transformational improvement to Medicare since its creation, delivering vision, dental and hearing benefits and turbocharging the search for new cures.
“On behalf of the people of Michigan and all Americans, I am proud to join my colleagues to pass the Lower Drug Costs Now Act to deliver significant savings for patients, employers and taxpayers and make critical investments in both the largest expansion of Medicare benefits since Medicare’s creation, as well as an expansion of lifesaving research for the groundbreaking cures of the future,” continued Congresswoman Lawrence. “With this historic step, House Democrats reaffirm our continued commitment to advance real progress that makes a difference for hard-working families.